Mount Victory today has established a reputation as a destination for antique and craft shopping, a charming walkable village with a historic business block where people come to shop, eat, train watch, enjoy a slower pace and friendly people. Annual events include the Village Park Easter Egg Hunt, Memorial Day Vintage Car Show, and the Antique Shop’s Christmas Open House.  Mount Victory also include Ridgemont School, as well as 2 churches: The Methodist Church and The Church of Christ. The town also includes 4 eateries, The Belle Acre, Gopher Pizza, The Plaza Inn and the Mt. Victory Drive Thru. Mount Victory sits on the well traveled State Route 31 and is intersected by a main CRX rail line.

mv platmap

Click to enlarge early plat map

Other pioneers began to move into the area, but we will concentrate on the Dille brothers: Cyrus, Amos, Abraham, and Samuel. Cyrus came to the township in November, 1830, and bought land on which Mt. Victory was to be founded. He had 11 children, the firstborn being Ezra, who would later lay out the town of Mt. Victory. Samuel came here at the same time as Cyrus as a single man, returned home to marry, and lived in Hale Township for a short time. He later moved to Iowa. Abraham moved here in 1834 and stayed for the rest of his life which ended in 1883. Amos arrived here in 1884 but only stayed for a short time. In 1833, the county was growing and it was separated from Logan County to organize its own government. Kenton was chosen as the seat of the county and the first elections of county officials were held the same year. After all of this, the settlement of Hale Township proceded more rapidly.

Some early pioneers were: Daniel Baldwin 1835 Jonathan Marsh 1835 Thomas Dunson 1835 Harvey Buckminster 1838 He opened an inn along road to Grassy Point Abner Snoddy 1840 Thomas McCall 1840 Cleared 150 acres between Mt. Victory and Kenton Peter Marsh 1842 Moses Kennedy 1844 settled along Panther Creek Obediah Williams 1848 purchased a tract north of Rush Creek Others were Harrison Lake, Simon Schertzer, Christopher Richardson, John Richardson, Barnet Richardson, Uriah Baldwin, and C. Copp. The establishment of a business was understandably slow before towns were founded and roads were built. In this township, business consisted largely of the hotel near Grassy Point and two mills. Around 1838 to 1840, Moses Kennedy constructed a sawmill and later added a corn mill on Panther Creek, and in 1849, James Smith opened a mill along the South Branch of Panther Creek. As the population grew, the problem of a final resting place for the dead was solved by burying on the family farm.

cyrus dille srIn 1837, the Eddy Cemetery was started and many found this to be their burial place until the Dille Cemetery was started in 1841 on land belonging to Cyrus Dille. The town of Mt. Victory grew up around this tiny cemetery which is located behind Richard Foreman’s on East Marion Street. The town’s founder, Ezra Dille, is buried there as well as his father, Cyrus Dille Sr.

Another necessity, as the area attracted more settlers, was that of a school. The first one opened December 1, 1839, in a log cabin. Enos Baldwin was the teacher. In 1840 or 1841, a round log house was built where the old Mt. Victory Stockyards was located. The teacher was either John Elder or Enos Baldwin. Religious services took the form of church meetings held in the home of Lewis Andrews by a circuit preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church from 1832 to 1842. In that year, services began to be held in the schoolhouse and remained there until churches were established in the villages of Ridgeway and Mt. Victory.

The years immediately following the entrance of Ohio into the Union on March 1, 1803, were relatively peaceful in what was to become the Mt. Victory Community. The land then belonged, by the Treaty of Greenville, to various Indian Tribes. They hunted the vast forest, fished the streams, cultivated small amounts of corn and practiced their religions, leaving the white man in his settlements to the south comparatively alone. The white man, with few exceptions, settled northward to the treaty line but honored the sanctity of Indian land. This land, however, was the seed of a future conflict with British traders. These traders were understandably less than friendly to the Americans. On orders from Fort Detroit, Indians were encouraged to harass the American settlements. It was through these traders that they obtained rifles, shot, and powder. They became allies to the British in Britain’s disputes with the Americans.

Finally, the British practice of impressing American sailors into the British Navy ended all negotiation and the U. S. declared war on Britain. Ohio’s population was now close to a quarter of a million and a sizable force was mustered in Cincinnati under General Hull, a respected veteran of the Revolution and now Governor of the Michigan Territory. He was to march on and take Fort Detroit. On this march, Hull passed through what was to become Hardin County and detached a Colonel Duncan MacArthur to build a fort to guard his route. This fort was built on the bank of the Scioto in Buck Township in 1812. Today, markers can be found show the location of both Fort MacArthur and Hull’s Trace. Hull succeeded in capturing Detroit, but surrendered it shortly thereafter. William Henry Harrison then led a second expedition through St. Marys and captured and held Detroit. With the Battle of Lake Erie, the war ended in the Ohio region.

At the close of the War of 1812, Fort MacArthur became a garrisoned outpost in the Indian Territory. The Indians had been crushed as a fighting force by the war and the death of Tecumseh, so the duty of the Fort was probably that of guarding a military road and offering refuge to travelers to Detroit. In 1817, at the head of the rapids of the Maumee River, a treaty was signed which ceded much of the land of Northwest Ohio to the government, and Hardin County became open to settlement. The county, however, as it had little white population, was attached to Logan County until such time as an increase in settlers warranted the establishment of a county seat. It was in the same year that the first white family came to the area. Alfred Hale, after whom this township was named, and his wife Mary located at Fort MacArthur and resided there until the death of Mary in 1824.

During that time, a son , Jonas, was born to them, the first white child born in the county. Hale, being a hunter, neither owned nor cultivated land. Relatives of Duncan MacArthur were the first real settlers in the County. They arrived in 1818, built a cabin and returned home to escort their families back to the homestead. Rumors of an Indian uprising kept them away for four years, but in 1822 they returned to become permanent residents of McDonald Township. The first settler in Hale Township was Levi D. Tharp, who built a cabin in the western part of the Township near Grassy Point in 1828. He owned no land, and after several years, he moved away. James Andrews was the first permanent landowning resident of the Township, locating here in October of 1829 at the age of 24. He cleared his farm and lived a long and fruitful life.

In 1849 Cyrus Dille died and his eldest son, Ezra, had a town laid out on his father’s estate two years later. The land was to be sold at an administrator’s sale and Samuel McCullough, who had just laid out the village of Ridgeway, made an attempt to buy the land at the public sale and turn it into a pasture, thus preventing the formation of a competing village. Ezra Dille, however, succeeded in purchasing the property and on his return home was asked by Thomas McCall who had bought the land. When informed that Ezra had been able to procure it, Mr. McCall exclaimed “Victory, Victory–We shall name the town MOUNT VICTORY!” Thomas McCall was ‘Uncle Tommy’ to those who knew him and he is credited with naming the Village of Mt. Victory. He was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, December 10, 1810, the son of William and Elizabeth McCall.

Thomas married Judith Bloomfield, a native of Crawford County, Pennsylvania. In January, 1842, they settled in Hale Township. He lived in what is now listed as 20555 West Mansfield Road, CR 199. It was one of the first frame houses built in the mid 1800’s. William Bealer, a local cabinetmaker, helped to build this house. He told his grandsons, Clay and Cliff Bealer that when digging the basement, they unearthed skeletons of human remains believed to be the remains of the Mound Builders, the very first known settlers in Hale Township, Hardin County, Ohio. At the time of settlement, there was not a settler or improvement on the road from Mt. Victory to Kenton. The house had a trap door in the kitchen with a rug over it and a table setting on the rug and was used as a safe house for fugitive slaves making their way north on the underground railroad.

Thomas McCall helped to blaze the trail from Mt. Victory to Kenton. They cleared 150 acres of heavy forest in the area. A broad ax used in the clearing of this land is now owned by Ross Baird, great-great-grandson of Uncle Tommy McCall. He owned 311 acres of good land with the improvement of fences and buildings. Thomas was the father of 15 children with 8 surviving. They were Malissa, Lucindia, Susannah, Lewis B., William, Thomas Morris, Matilda Jane, and Solmon P. Chase. Susannah married James Clark Bird. Their children were: William Thomas, Lorena Lou, Granger Clinton, Chase L., and Bessie. Lucindia married a Bolen and had a daughter Iva Lou, who married Walter Baird, Grandfather of Ross Baird. Submitted by Daisy Bird Gillen and Evangeline Bealer.

UNDERGROUND RAILROAD and the Secret Door – a true account by the late Evangeline Bealer
During the early days of the Underground Railroad, there were in excess of 3000 slaves transported through the Coffin network of safe houses in Cincinnati. The runaways were dispatched North to members of the Williams Family and to the anti-slavery movement . Many of these people followed the Shawnee Trail toward Pickrelltown and Bellefontaine. In Pickrelltown, they were met by Asa Williams, Manhon Pickrell, and Joshua Marmon. Other Quakers and sympathizers to the cause provided safe houses. Due to the secret nature of the mission, names are difficult to obtain. The home of Asa Williams was a safe house where fugitives stayed until their strength and health improved. His home had a secret wall in the basement which appeared to be a root cellar, but was actually a nice size room that could comfortably hold six people. Obadiah Williams, son of Henry and Nancy Williams, signed on work at the Pickrelltown Mill while quite young. One of his many duties when he was a teenager was to transport grain and supplies to the Cincinnati Market. His first visit to Cincinnati, he watched human beings sold on a common auction block. To his horror, he saw families torn apart and taken to different plantations. His compassion for their plight made an impression that endured a lifetime. When he returned home he related his story to his best friend and future bride, Sarah P. Williams, daughter of Asa and Elizabeth Branson Williams. He vowed that he would do anything in his power to end such brutality.

Soon after his trip to Cincinnati, a fugitive named Meshach, ‘Mose’, Moxley came to Pickrelltown. Obadiah and Mose became very close friends. Mose was an expert gunsmith and was considered a very valuable slave. Therefore, Mose was fearful for the safety of his wife and children. After much prayer and careful planning, it was agreed that Obadiah would go to Cincinnati with supplies and attempt to find the wife and children, purchase them, bring them back to Pickrelltown to a grateful Mose. Later, the Moxley Family moved to Bellefontaine and established a gun shop. There he maintained a good business and his guns are now highly prized collectables. Other slaves that were assisted through the Pickrelltown Station were the Mendenhalls. George C. Mendenhall, a plantation owner from North Carolina, sent 28 of his slaves to Asa Williams and Joshua Marmon under the protection of his field foreman, John White. The Deed of Emancipation of George C. Mendenhall was received and recorded July 2, 1885, by Jas Luster, Clerk, Logan County, Ohio. The deed was signed by witnesses: Asa Williams; Exaim Johnson; John White. By order of the deed, 28 people were freed and from that day forward, they should be called Mendenhall.

This activity continued into Hardin County:
Obadiah Williams, (1821 to 1905), Sarah Williams (1820 to 1902)
On November 6, 1845, Obadiah and Sarah were married and they had eight children: Thomas Clarkson; Genetta Harrison; one died in infancy; Esther Ann; Charles Stanton; Mary; Edward Elven; Lydia I. Together they continued to assist runaway slaves. Early in their marriage, they contrived a way to effectively answer the questions of federal agents, bounty hunters, and slave hunters without actually telling a lie. They agreed that anyone entering their home would be referred to as a ‘guest’. The young ‘conductors’ were dispatched to the Hardin County area for more efficient contact with the Old Sandusky Trail (Shawnee Trail). They purchased a tract of timberland 1 1/2 miles South of what is now Mt. Victory. The land deed dated August 2, 1848. Located on the north side of Rushcreek, a part of the Virginia Survey. The land was purchased from a soldier of the War of 1812, having been granted by President Martin Van Buren.

A temporary cabin was built about a quarter of a mile off of the Mud Pike now known as State Route 31. A new frame house was put in construction in front of the cabin. This house was equipped with a guest room where many ‘guests’ were respected for their courage and will for freedom. The new house is still occupied by a great great granddaughter, Joan Elliott Wagner, at 1948 Elliott Lane., State Route 31. The original cabin was torn down in the early 1930’s.

On one occasion, a family of fugitives had spent the night in the Guest Room. When morning came breakfast was prepared and was being eaten when Sarah glanced out the window and saw two finely dressed men on very fine horses approaching the house. With no time to waste, Obadiah walked out the door to greet the visitors and to care for their horses. He talked to them and answered their questions and told them his wife was preparing breakfast. Sarah cleared the kitchen of all evidence of the first breakfast while her guests settled down in the guest room. When the house resumed its peaceful order and breakfast was well on its way, Sarah went to the porch and motioned for everyone to come in to breakfast. Obadiah and the federal agents discussed plans for the day. They would search the forest and the banks of Rush Creek over to the next pike, now the West Mansfield Road. When the men were well out of sight, Sarah hitched the horses to a special wagon and then loaded her guests into its safety. Sarah made her way north toward the next safe house where a cabin stood. The site is now 361 South Main St., Mt. Victory. After securing the safety of her precious cargo, she returned home. She washed the bedding, cleaned the guest room, and began to prepare the evening meal. That night all was well and the federal agents slept in the same bed that the fugitive guests had slept in the night before. Many federal agents and slave hunters came to the Williams home. One agent was quoted as saying, ‘Obadiah Williams is the best slave hunter in the territory.’ However, not one fugitive was ever captured at his safe house. I really believe it was Sarah’s cooking that brought them back.
–by Evangeline Bealer, great great granddaughter of Obadiah Williams and town historian -/

ANCIENT BURIAL MOUNDS (Glacial Kame Culture)
Ancient Burial Mound and its Contents, Hardin County, Ohio
Letter Written by John B. Matson. M.D. to Judge John Barr, Cleveland, December 10, 1869
Dear Sir, –In the fall of 1856, in Hardin County, Ohio, near the Bellefontaine and Indiana Railway, between Mt. Victory and Ridgeway, I commenced removing a gravel bank for the purpose of ballasting a part of the above named railroad. I learned shortly after my arrival there, that the bank was an ancient burial ground. This information caused me to examine the ground, and note discoveries.
…The mound covered an area of one and a half acres; being covered with an orchard of apple trees, then in bearing…The mound was what I would call double; the larger and higher part to the west. About two-thirds of the mound was embraced in this part. The eastern part, presenting the appearance of a smaller hill having been pressed against the other, leaving a depression between them of three or four feet, below the highest point of the smaller and five or six feet below a corresponding point of the larger.
…On the north side of the eastern portion, under an oak tree stump (150 years old by growths) was the remains of the largest human bones I have ever seen. The joints of the vertebra seemed as large as those of a horse… I found in this part of the mound the remains of at least fifty children, under the age of eight years; some with two, others with four incisors; some with eight, and others with no teeth.
Source: Howland, H. G., Atlas of Hardin county, Ohio. Philadelphia,
R. Sutton & co., 1879, pg 323 / 324

Mount Victory History > EARLY SCHOOLS

The first school located in the village of Mt. Victory was ‘The Rough and Ready’ one-room schoolhouse. The building was opened to Mt. Victory and Hale Township students in 1839. It remained open until 1852, when it was replaced with a frame-structure building built on the southern side of Marion Street. That school was replaced eight years later when a school was opened at the corner of Main and Taylor Streets at what is now the Henry Martin Memorial Park. The school was moved to its present location 15 years later. The brick building had four rooms and was later enlarged to six when the high school was added. The high school was open to anyone who passed the entrance exam. By 1912, it was time to tear down the old building to make way for a new school. As one-room schools in the area closed, more students were getting their education in Mt. Victory. The brick building was called Mt. Victory-Dudley School in recognition of the Dudley Township students who attended. In 1938, the building was remodeled, with new classrooms, a cafeteria, farm shop, and gymnasium added to the existing building. In the early 1960’s, the state was pressuring smaller schools to join together.


There was much division in the community about where the school should go. Many, especially those living in the northern parts of the district, favored sending the Mt. Victory students to Kenton. Others looked to neighboring towns to join together to form a new district. Feelings ran strongly for both plans. Board of education members, Lloyd Dickinson, President; Fannie Stough; Dr. Robert Thomas; Dick Connelly; and Clay Van Atta were left to make the decisions affecting the future of the school. Thomas and Van Atta favored the Kenton proposal and brought the issue to a vote. With the vote tied at 2-2, Dickinson broke the tie by voting to remain at Mt. Victory. A plan to make Mt. Victory a part of a five-school district was presented. Mt. Victory would join Ridgeway, Byhalia, West Mansfield, and Rushsylvania to form a new district. Land was donated in the center of the five communities for the purpose of building the new school, said Stough. But the plan was rejected by officials who didn’t want the district covering three counties. While the school board attempted to determine the school’s future, there was plenty of pressure put on the members. Stough said people would telephone her house and begin telling her what they thought of her. She just laid the phone on the counter and went about her business. ‘It was terrible,’ she said. Everyone had the opinion that we needed to consolidate, Dickinson remembered. ‘So the next thing to do was to start talking with Ridgeway,’ he said. The plan was approved by both boards. The superintendent would come from Mt. Victory. Two members of the new school’s board would come from Mt. Victory and three from Ridgeway. A contest was held to decide what to call the new school. ‘I always liked Vickway,’ said Dickinson. But the Ridge from Ridgeway was added to the Mont from Mount Victory to make Ridgemont. The school colors were taken from the green of Mt. Victory Green Devils and the gold from the Ridgeway Tigers. A new mascot was needed. At a board meeting, Stough suggested Golden Gophers. ‘I liked Minnesota at that time and made the suggestion. Nobody else suggested anything else, so that was it.’


An outside consultant was named to determine which building would be the high school and which would house the elementary students. Ridgeway was named as the high school site. Mt. Victory would house grades 4-8 with the first three grades remaining in their home schools. This changed two years later when all the elementary students went to Mt. Victory and grades 7-12 attended classes in Ridgeway. In the Fall of 1993, the remodeling of the high school was completed. A large section of the old school was razed and replaced with a new facility, which includes a new gymnasium, library, classrooms, and vocational agriculture shop. Vocational education is offered to the Ridgemont students at Hi Point Career Center in Bellefontaine.

Ridgemont Elementary built in 1926 was originally located at north Elm and Taylor Street. The c.1926 building was raised in 2016.

A new Ridgemont school was built and completed in 2015 at the west end of Taylor St on farm land donated by the Elliott family. The new school combines both elementary and high school and is noted for being a model of contemporary 21st century education.

The Black and White School was built in 1886 by black families who were former slaves or descendants of slaves. It is believed to be one of the first integrated schools in Ohio. The black families invited the neighboring white children to was needed. The school still stands on the corner of SR 31 and CR 190 near the path of the Underground Railroad on the Old Sandusky Trail. It is now a private residence with a historic marker in the front yard. Submitted by Daisy Bird Gillen and Evangeline Bealer –

Mount Victory History > FIRE DEPARTMENT

Little is known about the Fire Department until about 1940. What we do know is the village had a hand-pulled piece of equipment with a stationary engine and pump. This was pulled to a fire cistern (a hole full of water with a lid) near the fire scene. The Fire Chief was Walter Thompson. Later, a Studebaker truck was purchased with a pressure tank on it that held water and soda. At a fire, caustic acid would be added. This reacted with the soda to create pressure that forced the water onto the fire. Floyd White mixed the acid with water. H. B. ‘Shorty’ Keller served as Fire Chief in the late 1930’s.

In 1942, Marlowe Simpson became Chief and Richard Strahm served as Asst. Chief. During this period, the first pumper truck was purchased in 1947 through the efforts of the Lions Club. Fire protection was then extended to Hale and Washington Townships in 1954 when the first tanker truck was purchased. The equipment was stored on East Taylor Street in the end of the brick building where Gopher Pizza is now. Marlowe Simpson stored the tank truck in LevanÍs Garage where the Drive Thru is now. When the fire station and town hall was built in 1956, the equipment was moved there. A 500 cpm. fire pumper was purchased in 1958 to replace the 1947 pumper. This truck is still in use as a reserve engine. In 1965 the original tank truck was replaced with a Ford Wilco 1500 gallon tank truck. In 1970, Dudley Township became a full member of the association by purchasing an additional 1970 Ford Wilco 1500 gallon tank truck. The name was changed to Mt. Victory Hale Washington Dudley Township Fire Association. In 1976, a new Ford Sutphen 1000 cpm. pumper was purchased necessitating the addition to the existing fire station. In 1981, Richard Strahm retired as Asst. Fire Chief and Charles Mowery filled that position. In 1982, Marlowe Simpson retired with 40 years of service as Chief. Charles Mowery then became Fire Chief with James Moore as Asst. Chief. In 1982, the grass truck was built by the firemen. No major truck purchases were made since then, but new equipment was added including self-contained breathing apparatus, turnout gear, positive pressure ventilation system, foam equipment, automatic nozzles, dump tank system, and large diameter fire hose.

In 1986, James Moore resigned as Asst. Chief and Richard Foreman filled that position. In 1999, the Mt. Victory Hale Washington Dudley Township Fire Association was dissolved and the Southeast Hardin Northwest Union Joint Fire District was created. Since the creation of a Joint Fire District, two new fire levies have passed. The Seyfert Potato Chip building on South Wheeler Street has been purchased. A custom Sutphen Quint Combination Ladder and Pumper fire truck has been purchased and an addition is being added to the Seyfert building. This will become the futurehome of the Fire Department and Ambulance Squad. Over the years, many people have served the community as firefighters. One example is Julia Foreman who has just retire as radio operator with 28 years of faithful service. The present officers are: Charles Mowery, Fire Chief Richard Foreman and Dennis Hinton, Asst. Chiefs Charles Long and Kurt Creamer, Captains Robert Kemmere and Robert Rowe, Lieutenants Robert Taylor, Safety Officer Cathy Mowery Lowery, President and Public Information Officer Serving with the above-mentioned are 20 additional dedicated men and women firefighters.

Mount Victory History > CHURCHES


The first sermon ever preached in Hale Township was by Thomas B. Green, a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church at the home of Lewis Andrews in February, 1832. A class was organized at this meeting composed of James Andrews and his wife Mary, and Lewis Andrews and his wife Mary. The first family Bible and hymn book were bought by James Andrews. The Bible cost $4.00, half a monthÍs wages in that day. The first circuit preacher was Rev. Thomas Sims. About the year 1850, the Methodist Church changed and a new organization was formed. Meetings were held in the Old Rough and Ready School situated on the James Smith farm about a mile West of Mt. Victory. The place of meeting was soon changed again to a new schoolhouse East of town on the land afterward owned by W. H. Boyd. Later, the building was moved across the road and was used as a residence by Wm. P. Wooley and family. In the Fall of 1855, the meeting place was again changed to the United Brethren Church on what is now South High Street. It stayed there until 1860 when the unfinished Baptist Church was bought of Isaac Pennock for $140.00. The building which stood on the present church lot was completed and dedicated for service in 1861. This house served the people until the Spring of 1879, when it was sold to G. M. McDonald and moved off the church lot. Later, it was moved to North High Street where it again served as a church for several years, being used by different denominations.


It has since been moved to the John Willauer farm, just North of town, where it was remodeled into a barn. A substantial brick church was dedicated on the present church lot on November 30, 1879, by Dr. C. H. Payne of Delaware, Ohio, at the cost of $3300.00. After 24 years, it was decided that a larger church was needed and it was torn down in March of 1903. Material worth about $1000 was recycled into the new building. On May 3, 1903, the cornerstone was laid for the present church on North Main Street. It cost $15,000.


In the year, 1899, the Mt. Victory Church of Christ’s sister church in the village of Ridgeway was a thriving church and its influence was felt in the Southern part of the county. In one of their Round Table Discussions which they were conducting on the subject, ‘What Was Your Call of Macedonia?’, Mrs. William Wallace, better known as ‘Aunt Mollie’, suggested to Robert Moffett, who was working for the State Board located in Cleveland, the need of having a Church of Christ in Mt. Victory. She succeeded in interesting Mr. Moffett in the project. So, we see the State Board of Ohio facing a difficult challenge in the year 1900. Meetings were conducted in the City Hall during the months of February and March. Through the efforts of evangelists, they succeeded in influencing enough people to secure a charter for the Church of Christ. Establishing this church called for a great deal of hard work and sacrifice.

The State Board supplied what was lacking in funds. For a number of years, the State Board hired the minister. Under the ministry of I. A. Randall, the debt to the State was paid and the mortgage burned. The main auditorium was completed and dedicated November 4, 1902, by Lowell Lee Carpenter. No other minister in the organization has dedicated so many churches. He had 752 to his credit. The Men’s Class, under the leadership of M. O. Harvey, felt the need for a place for social affairs and constructed the basement. As the membership increased, much difficulty was encountered in trying to instruct primaries, juniors, and adult classes in the auditorium, so a second addition was started on June 12, 1918, and it was finished in 1919. P. H. Welshimer from Canton, Ohio, rededicated the church on March 16, 1919. Mr. Welshimer was hired and he had the largest Sunday School in our organization. In 1954, the Board was looking for a suitable piece of land to build a new parsonage. It was purchased from StevensonÍs and Russel Hardin drew up the plans for the house. In November, 1954, financing and contruction began. In June 1955, the parsonage was all done and the landscaping finished. One hundred and one years have passed since opening the Church of Christ. It is a church setting on the corner of Main and North Streets beckoning all to come worship.